Arsenal have submitted a loan bid for Shakhtar Donetsk centre-back Mykola Matviyenko, reports claim.
The Gunners are facing a crisis in defence, with the injured Calum Chambers ruled of for the rest of the season and David Luiz suspended for the next three games.
Getty – Contributor
Matviyenko impressed against Man City earlier this season
Mikel Arteta only has two fit centre-backs – Sokratis and Rob Holding – at his disposal right now.
According to Sky Sports, the Gunners have opened talks with Shakhtar over a potential loan deal for Ukraine international Matviyenko.
The 23-year-old has 18 months left on his contract and it is understood the Ukrainian club would prefer a £30million permanent deal.
Arteta, who faced the defender twice this season while assistant coach at Manchester City, was quizzed about the rumours during his press conference on Friday.
“I’m not going to be discussing any transfer links publicly,” said the Spaniard. “It’s something we are trying to do internally and when we have news we will communicate with you guys.
“We are looking at different positions, obviously since I joined we lost Calum [Chambers] and we had other circumstances and injuries in that position so it’s true that at the back we have been short.
“There are other positions as well, depending on what happens in the market that we might need to assess.
“At the moment I am 50/50 [on signings] because this transfer [window] is very complicated and I only want to bring somebody in if I’m convinced he can really improve the level that we have.”
The young defender is a product of Shakhtar’s academy system and spent time on loan at Karpaty Lviv and Vorskla Poltava before establishing himself in the Donetsk outfit’s senior set-up.
He has made 61 appearances for the Ukrainian giants, scoring four goals, and also won 26 caps for his country.
- Mikel Arteta press conference: Arsenal manager provides transfer update after reported Matviyenko bid and Ceballos exit rumours
- Man City Defender Ready To Discuss Arsenal Move With Arteta
- Mikel Arteta’s first Arsenal signing tipped to be £40million RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano
- Cedric Soares: Arsenal sign Southampton defender on loan for remainder of the season
- Mikel Arteta could sell Arsenal stars Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette and Mesut Ozil in major summer revamp