Spanish Champions, FC Barcelona, have released a statement saying that five times Ballon D’Or winner, Lionel Messi, has picked up a knock.
According to a statement that was made available on the club’s official website, the South American teamed up with the rest of the squad in the USA where they are currently playing their pre-season matches.
He is now a major doubt for the season opener with Athletic Bilbao on August 18th.
In the statement, Barca said:
“First team player Leo Messi, who had returned from his summer break for training on Monday, withdrew from the session due to discomfort in his right leg.
“Tests carried out have diagnosed a Grade 1 calf strain for the Argentine.
“Messi will remain in Barcelona and will now not travel to the USA for the club’s tour. His availability to come back to action will be dictated by his recovery from the injury.”
- Ryan Giggs historic Man United record under threat from Barcelona’s Leo Messi
- It is not impossible to stop Messi – Solskjaer
- How Leo Messi is trying to influence Neymar’s transfer from PSG to Barcelona
- Neymar-PSG separation imminent/Barcelona return ‘looking more like a reality’ – Sport
- Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar will have to take huge £12.5m pay cut to join Barcelona – reports