Bayern Munich stepped up their interest in Jadon Sancho prior to the season shutting down amid the coronavirus crisis, but Borussia Dortmund remain determined not to lose their prize asset to their Bundesliga rivals.
Sancho’s current deal does not expire until 2022 but there is an agreement in place that would see the England international depart should Dortmund receive a suitable offer.
The spending capacity of Europe’s leading clubs is certain to be adversely affected by the ongoing global pandemic, but ESPN claim Dortmund remain confident they can secure a fee in the region of €120 million for the 20-year-old.
Bayern have earmarked Sancho, who has enjoyed another reputation enhancing campaign in Germany, as a possible alternative to Leroy Sane who had been considering his Manchester City future prior to suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury in August.
Dortmund, however, are unwilling to do business with their German counterparts and do no want to be seen as a feeder club having already lost the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Martio Gotze and Mats Hummels to their great rivals in recent years.
Manchester United remain the leading candidates to sign Sancho, who has also attracted interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona, but executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward warned on Thursday that the coronavirus pandemic will represent the biggest financial test the club has ever faced.
He said: ‘There are still profound challenges ahead, and for football as a whole, and it is safe to say it will not be ‘business as usual’ for some time.
‘We remain one of the most popular teams in the most followed global sport and have created a strong financial base with diverse revenue streams.
‘However, the repercussions of the pandemic are now being felt widely across the football community, not just by clubs but also by players, supporters, broadcasters, sponsors and many other stakeholders.
‘We must recognise that this crisis will not disappear overnight and that the world that emerges will be different from how it was before.’
- Jadon Sancho ‘snubbing Chelsea for Manchester United’ makes Blues move for Barcelona star Philippe Coutinho instead
- ‘Priceless’ Jadon Sancho is like a young Neymar and would walk into Liverpool’s starting XI, claims Owen Hargreaves
- Football news and transfer gossip: Arsenal want to sign ‘new N’Golo Kante’, Liverpool in three-horse race for Adama Traore, Erling Haaland update
- Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho suffers injury scare after scoring and assisting in RB Leipzig draw
- Paper Talk: Man Utd, Liverpool target wants Dortmund exit as unhappiness is explained; duo target Chelsea ace