Dr Hilary Jones warned against wearing masks while jogging during today’s Good Morning Britain.
One concerned viewer called into today’s programme after a jogger collapsed while wearing protective face gear.
According to Dr. Hilary, don’t bother – if anything, ‘it’s not a good idea’.
‘If you’re exercising outdoors and you’re jogging you don’t really need a mask, as long as you’re not with other people,’ he told hosts Ben Shephard and Charlotte Hawkins.
‘There’s no guidance to suggest your should wear a mask or it’s beneficial.
‘In fact, it’s covering your mouth and your nose, it’s inhibiting your breathing to some extent and some people would say you’re rising the rate of levels of carbon dioxide you’re breathing out when you’re exercising and that’s probably not a good idea.
‘If you’re exercising on your own, you don’t need a mask.’
Running has been on the rise as Boris Johnson eased lockdown rules earlier this month, allowing unlimited outdoor exercise in a bid to get the country fit.
However, people are urged to ‘stay local’.
‘This means that any exercise should start and end at home and not involve going a significant distance from home,’ First Minister Mark Drakeford said.
‘As we learn more about coronavirus, the evidence shows that the risk of infection is reduced outdoors.’
- Woman Makes a hole in her face mask so that it’s easier to breathe
- Harry Redknapp sends warning to Tottenham stars after they broke coronavirus lockdown to train – ‘Do what you’re told’
- Piers Morgan tested for coronavirus after getting ‘mild symptom’ and announces he’ll be absent from Good Morning Britain
- Presidential Aide, Lauretta Onochie, Explains Why President Buhari Doesn’t Wear Face Mask
- Why wearing a face mask alone will not protect you from COVID-19 – NCDC