While the Gunners sit just three and five points behind the champions and current leaders respectively, they were at least 27 points behind both at the end of last season.
A promising start to this campaign has given hope of at least putting a dent in that tally, but the 3-1 defeat to Liverpool highlighted the difference in quality between the two sides.
Emery has a plan to bridge that by the end of his Arsenal reign.
“First we need to improve the adaptation of the different players who have come here in the last moments,” he said.
“Also, we need to improve in our way. For example, I think we can continue being very offensive with a lot of important offensive players.
“We also want to take the balance defensively to be strong and I think the first four matches allowed us to show our first characteristic: to be offensive.
“Maybe we need to continue working to create a balance defensively in some moments, and also tactically when making some decisions.
“Really, the most important thing is how we can show our support and our energy, our spirit.
“We want to win each match but also to show to them our speed, our energy playing with intensity. I think we are working to do that in our way in our target of giving them a big characteristic for us.
“We want to play with energy.”
- Emery picks out two areas to improve after ‘fantastic victory’
- Emery explains how win over Bournemouth affects Arsenal confidence
- Emery explains how Ozil showed the way forward for Arsenal
- Emery impressed by ‘confidence’ of young Arsenal stars in Frankfurt win
- Arsenal news: Unai Emery ‘has one month to save his job’ after poor run of form