Liverpool made a huge statement in the Premier League title race on Sunday by beating Manchester City 3-1 at Anfield to move nine points clear at the top of the Premier League.
Liverpool set a blistering pace in the first 15 minutes, with Fabinho opening the scoring after six minutes with a fantastic long-range strike past Claudio Bravo, but City VAR did not intervene when the ball struck Trent Alexander-Arnold’s arm.
Seven minutes later, it got even better for the hosts when Andy Robertson’s cross from the left was headed back across goal into the corner by Mo Salah.
The Reds did not let up at the start of the second half, either, Sadio Mane making it 3-0 after heading Jordan Henderson’s cross at the far post.
City did offer a response late on in the second half as Pep Guardiola’s side increased the pressure and Bernardo Silva got one back for the visitors as he turned in Angelino’s deflected cross.
However, the away side could not get themselves back into the game enough to threaten Liverpool, who made it 11 wins from 12 as they marched on.
- Roberto Firmino hits late winner for Liverpool as They extend Premier League unbeaten run to 40 games
- Liverpool just FOUR wins from first Premier League crown as Reds scrape past spirited West Ham
- Liverpool fans sing ‘We’re gonna win the league’ for first time this season as Reds beat Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Co. fail to hit the target ONCE as Lyon stun Juventus in Champions League
- Premier League results: Leicester draw with Norwich to drop points in title race, Sheffield United beat Aston Villa and Chris Wood downs Newcastle at Burnley