Xherdan Shaqiri’s Liverpool career appears to be over.
The Switzerland winger has been a bit-part player since joining the Reds in a £13million deal from Stoke in 2018.
Getty Images – Getty
Xherdan Shaqiri has failed to hold down a regular starting place at Liverpool
And Football Insister claim Liverpool are willing to listen to summer offers for Shaqiri, who has started just two Premier League games this season largely because of calf and hamstring injures.
However, when the 28-year-old has been fit, he has struggled for playing time due to the form of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.
Liverpool director of football Michael Edwards is believed to be holding out for a £28million fee for Shaqiri.
Edwards has a solid track record of selling Liverpool’s fringe players for a profit with Mamadou Sakho, Jordan Ibe, Danny Ings and Dominic Solanke leaving for big fees in the past.
Sevilla, Roma and CSKA Moscow are among the clubs showing an interest in Shaqiri.
In January, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp dubbed Shaqiri ‘a very special player’ when discussing the player’s injury woes.
AFP or licensors
Jurgen Klopp has been full of praise for Xherdan Shaqiri in the past
He said: “Yes, it’s not cool, absolutely not cool. But maybe there are different reasons, for sure.
“Shaq is a very special player in different departments. His physique is different to all others I ever saw, his muscles are unbelievable.
“It [the injury] is never ‘big’ so far, but it was always enough to get him out. I can imagine that’s frustrating. It’s frustrating for him, it’s not cool for us, but not to change.
“We work on that obviously, we don’t want to bring in the situation where that constantly happens, but so far we didn’t find the 100 per cent solution for it. We have to see.”
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp becomes second quickest manager to reach 100 Premier League wins… after Jose Mourinho
- How much Liverpool’s squad value has risen since Jurgen Klopp took over as manager is truly staggering
- Paper Talk: Mane, Salah cited as unhappy Liverpool man targets exit; Man Utd sent message over £50m Villa star
- Jurgen Klopp admits Liverpool squad were in shock after learning of Kenny Dalglish’s COVID-19 diagnosis via WhatsApp
- Transfer news and football gossip: Liverpool to sell THREE players to fund Werner signing, Arsenal to swap Lacazette for Lemar, Manchester United reignite Koulibaly interest