Former Paralympic champion and Para powerlifter,Esther Oyema has been banned for four years and stripped off her medal, after she committed an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV).
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced the ban.
A prohibited substance named 19-norandrosterone, was found in a urine sample she provided on January 28, 2019, after the Lagos 2019 International Para Powerlifting Competition in Nigeria.
Oyema, who won the gold at London 2012 in the women’s 48kg, will now be ineligible for competition for four years from May 3, 2019 to May 2, 2023, thus missing the opportunity of Tokyo 2020.
She has also been stripped of the gold medal which she won in the women’s 55kg competition in Lagos, together with any points and prizes.
- Tacha Akide cautions women who put down other women
- Sir Mo Farah confirms return to track for 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe confirms plans for a one-year delay in conference call with Games chiefs
- Nigeria needs ₦14billion to prepare for 2020 Olympics – Sports Minister, Sunday Dare
- Sanwo-Olu’s wife Ibijoke runs historic 10km race