One of the lawyers defending the embattled Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, Adegboyega Awomolo, has said Onnoghen retired and not resigned just as reported on some media platforms.
Mr Awomolo said Mr Onnoghen’s decision is a retirement and not a resignation from office, Premium Times reports.
Onnoghen retired, he didn’t resign – Lawyer
He said Mr Onnoghen sent his notice of retirement to President Muhammadu Buhari in line with constitutional provisions.
“What he has done is to send his notice of retirement to the President. And he has done so, in accordance with the provisions of the constitution.“His position from day one has been that it is only the NJC that can discipline him. Now that the NJC has spoken, out of respect for the NJC and the office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria and Nigerian Judiciary, he sent his letter of retirement, not resignation. He never resigned.“All he has done is to send a letter to the president, saying thank you. I have served this country for about 32 years. I want to retire. That’s all he has done,” Mr Awomolo said.
- Onnoghen Pre-Empts Buhari, ‘Resigns’ As CJN With Immediate Effect
- Buhari accepts Onnoghen’s retirement, wants more five S’Court justices appointed
- Breaking: Onnoghen has been pronounced guilty by CCT.
- PRESIDENCY: ‘Walter Onnoghen Conviction Victory For Corruption Fight’
- BMO Mocks PDP, Saraki, Others Over Onnoghen’s Resignation