Schalke’s struggles continue following the Bundesliga’s return amid the coronavirus pandemic with a 3-0 defeat to Augsburg.
David Wagner’s side lost 4-0 to Borussia Dortmund last week and shipped three more on Saturday.
Augsburg’s Eduard Lowen opened the scoring in sensational style after just six minutes when he whipped a free-kick into the top corner.
The home side were often frustrated by the visitors and struggled to create chances before the points were wrapped up late on.
Winger Noah Sarenren Bazee cooly finished in the 76th minute following a rash mistake by Everton loanee Jonjoe Kenny.
Kenny jumped into a challenge and missed, allowing Bazee in on goal and to make it 2-0.
The third was added in stoppage time by Sergio Cordova to inflict another defeat on Wagner’s side.
It is a fourth defeat in five games for Schalke as they slipped down to eighth place in the Bundesliga while it was an important win for Augsburg who move seven points clear of the relegation zone.
Kenny was criticised for his error as Schalke conceded for the seventh time in two games, although the team’s problems look to go beyond the Everton loanee’s mistakes.
- Bundesliga returns: Bayern Munich beat Union Berlin, Erling Haaland scores again as Borussia Dortmund thrash Schalke, RB Leipzig drop points in title
- Bundesliga UK TV channel, live streams, fixtures, schedule and when it restarts
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Eddie Nketiah score as Arsenal beat Everton at Emirates
- Everton failed to show ‘fighting spirit’ in Chelsea thrashing, says Carlo Ancelotti
- How Premier League table looks since Manchester United appointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as Jose Mourinho’s permanent replacement