67 members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, and their herbalist have been arrested by the Police in Imo state.
The Imo police spokesperson, Orlando Ikeokwu said members of the proscribed separatist group were arrested for unlawful gathering among other offences.
The arrested IPOB members had converged somewhere in Owerri North area of the State on August 9 before moving to Egbema, where they were said to be arrested at a checkpoint by soldiers who called the police for reinforcement.
Ikeokwu alleged that the arrested members of the group were heading to the residence of one Cyprian Amadi in Abashieke, Egbema in Ohaji/Egbema Local Government Area said to be a herbalist, to fortify themselves against bullets.
The police spokesperson who accused the suspects of planning an attack on security agencies with the aim of snatching weapons, further alleged that the suspected herbalist had removed bullets from an IPOB member who sustained gunshot injuries in the past.
“It is also noteworthy that the group attacked and snatched two rifles from police during a violent protest in 2018, of which the rifles were later recovered from a kidnap gang in a robbery operation.”
- Seven IPOB Members Arrested In Abia After Staging Protest
- Suspected Arms Dealer Arrested With 10 Guns In Kaduna
- Abia Police Warns That Burial Of Nnamdi Kanu&’s Parents Will Not Hold If This Group Attends
- Police Arrest 22 Suspects As IPOB Allegedly Attack F-SARS, Kill Officer In River
- Graphic Photos Of Notorious Cultist And Kidnapper Killed In Imo State