Eight people have reportedly been killed in a stampede at a Christmas palliative sharing centre in Rivers state capital city, Port Harcourt.
The incident occurred on Tuesday morning, December 15, around Rumudara Town, at the Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the state.
According to Vanguard, an eyewitness identified as Blessing, claimed that Pinkcoin, an online blockchain digital assets designed for giving charity, had invited everyone who registered with them in Obio/Akpor LGA to come and redeem their Christmas palliatives.
It was gathered that hundreds of people, said to be members of the initiative, gathered together at an office allegedly owned by the company.
However, things took a different turn when the crowd became uncontrollable as people struggled to gain access to the office, leading to the stampede.
Confirming the incident, the Rivers state police command said the situation is being closely monitored to avert further tragedy.
- Evil grandma arrested for bathing grandchildren with pepper and chaining them
- Governor Wike insists Rivers is A Christian State
- I won’t leave uncompleted projects for my successor, says Wike
- Rivers State Govt Impose 24-hour Curfew In Some Parts Of The State
- Governor Wike Cancels Lockdown In Rivers State; Weddings And Burials Remain Banned