Eight people have reportedly been killed in a stampede at a Christmas palliative sharing centre in Rivers state capital city, Port Harcourt.
The incident occurred on Tuesday morning, December 15, around Rumudara Town, at the Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the state.
According to Vanguard, an eyewitness identified as Blessing, claimed that Pinkcoin, an online blockchain digital assets designed for giving charity, had invited everyone who registered with them in Obio/Akpor LGA to come and redeem their Christmas palliatives.
It was gathered that hundreds of people, said to be members of the initiative, gathered together at an office allegedly owned by the company.
However, things took a different turn when the crowd became uncontrollable as people struggled to gain access to the office, leading to the stampede.
Confirming the incident, the Rivers state police command said the situation is being closely monitored to avert further tragedy.
- I won’t leave uncompleted projects for my successor, says Wike
- Police Arrest Female One-chance Robber And Accomplices In Rivers State
- I did not placate cultists with N3m — Umahi
- Two Oyo Workers Caught Selling COVID-19 Palliatives, Arrested
- Suspected Human Organs Trafficker Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)