Mikel Arteta wins Community Shield after beating Premier League champions League 5-4 on penalties after playing 1-1 in the regulation period.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang fired the North Londoners in front with a long-ranger stunning shot in the 12th minute of the fixture.
The 31-year-old dribbled past Neco Williams before curling the ball into the right corner of the post with youngster Bukayo Saka claiming the assist for the goal.
Mikel Arteta’s men started the game on a shaky note with the Reds making almost all the advances earlier in the game.
Virgil van Dijk drew the first blood but Jurgen Klopp’s men were denied their chance to lead the game in the seventh minute as the goal was ruled out for offside.
And that gave room for the Gunners to gain confidence and they took advantage of their long-range opportunity.
Arteta’s men maintain their leadership in the game for the rest of the opening half as either side failed to find the back of the net.
However, they could not hold on to the lead beyond the 83rd minute as Takumi Minamino restored parity for the Premier League champions.
The 25-year-old was in the right place to tap into the Gunners net a loose ball from Mohamed Salah’s build-up play.
— Arsenal (@Arsenal) August 29, 2020
The match however went to penalties and the gunners beat their rival to the cup.
- Arsenal axe Ozil from their 25-man Premier League squad
- Mikel Arteta gets his first win as Arsenal manager as they get 2-0 win over Manchester United at the Emirates
- Arteta ‘pleased’ with win over ‘difficult opponents’ Sheff Utd
- Mikel Arteta says he ‘loves VAR’ as Arsenal benefit from review on offside decision to beat West Ham
- Wenger explains how Arteta can get the best out of Arsenal man