Former Arsenal defender Lauren says Mesut Ozil only has himself to blame for his exile under Mikel Arteta.
Arsenal’s longest serving and highest paid player has been left out of the Premier League and Europa League squads this season.
Ozil revealed his disappointment at being left out and his agent claimed the Gunners supporters “deserve an honest explanation” as to why he’s surplus to requirements.
But Lauren claims the finger of blame should not be pointed at the club or the manager but Ozil himself.
“Ozil is a top player, it’s sad to see a top player not being involved in a team like Arsenal,” Lauren told Sky Sports News.
“All of us who follow Arsenal want to see the best players but this situation has not come from now. I believe it is the same with Emery and Arteta.
“Arteta would love to have the best players in the squad. If Ozil is not there it’s a consequence of many issues.
“First of all, it’s the fault of the player. I believe if you have the quality, if you are a top player, if you are not involved week in week out I believe that is your own fault.
“Obviously all of the club have to try to do their best in order to make the player happy and be in the squad and be in the team and play every weekend.
“But the fact that with Emery and now with Arteta he hasn’t been consistent it is not the manager. I believe it is more the player than the manager or the club.”
- Arsenal axe Ozil from their 25-man Premier League squad
- Mesut Ozil takes another swipe at Unai Emery by claiming players know what they need to do tactically under Mikel Arteta
- Arteta claims he never questions Ozil’s wages
- Lukas Podolski slams Arsenal chiefs for Champions League absence
- Cascarino: Arsenal need a Jordan-esque character to get Ozil firing