‘Aubameyang still hopes to join Barcelona’ was the headline on the front page of Spanish newspaper Diario Sport on Wednesday.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored 25 goals across all competitions for Arsenal this season, but is yet to commit his future to the north London club.
The Gabon international is thought to be Barcelona’s second choice if they are unable to sign prime target Lautaro Martinez from Inter Milan this summer.
Martinez has a £100million release clause, which could prove to be too much as Barcelona feel the financial effect of the coronavirus crisis.
And Diario Sport claim they may therefore turn their attention to Aubameyang.
The Gunners captain’s contract expires next summer, and with the club now only able to qualify for the Europa League if they beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final, his future at the club is in further doubt.
Mikel Arteta said this week he wants Aubameyang’s future resolved as quickly as possible to “calm” the striker.
The Spaniard said: “The quicker we do it for me personally the better because the player will be more focused, more determined and more calm.
“But we have to respect the timings as well and the needs that the football club has.”
- Aubameyang Sends Message To Fans Over Arsenal Exit
- Hector Bellerin eyes up Arsenal captaincy amid Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang exit rumours with Chelsea and Manchester United interested
- Arsenal making Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang contingency plans by targeting French ace Serhou Guirassy
- Barcelona, Inter Milan Battle To Sign Aubameyang From Arsenal
- Mikel Arteta could sell Arsenal stars Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette and Mesut Ozil in major summer revamp