Brazil and Argentina players set to miss club matches

Brazil and Argentina players out on international duty will not return early, dealing a blow to a number of Premier League clubs.

Both nations have a fixture on Friday the 15th, a day before the English top flight resumes.

Premier League clubs were eager to have their players return early so they could be available after the international break, however, Brazil joined Argentina in confirming this will not be the case.

Brazil have nine PL players in their squad for this month’s World Cup qualifiers against Venezuela, Colombia and Uruguay.

Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz, Manchester City’s Ederson and Gabriel Jesus, Liverpool’s Allison and Fabinho, Chelsea defender Thiago Silva, Manchester United’s Fred, Tottenham’s Emerson Royal and Leeds’ Raphinha were all called up.

Before the news was confirmed Brazil head coach Tite said: “There was never that possibility [of them returning to England early]. They were called up for the three games.”

The Argentina squad includes Tottenham pair Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso plus Villa goalkeeper Emi Martinez.

La Albiceleste head coach Lionel Scaloni said: “We are not going to do the same as last time with the Premier League players.

Read Also!  Solskjaer intervention stopped ‘livid’ Ronaldo storming off again

“Before the game with Venezuela I said that they came to play all three games but the players raised a difficult decision for me and I understood it, I released them.

“Now the players are here to play the three games. Under no point of view they will leave earlier.”

This also affects Premier League players from Colombia, Uruguay, Ecuador and Paraguay, who are all expected to follow and Brazil and Argentina’s position.

Last month, a World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Argentina in Sao Paulo was called off as officials stormed onto the pitch over an alleged coronavirus breach by the visitors’ England-based players.

According to ANVISA, the Brazilian Health Surveillance Agency, Argentina’s four Premier League players –  Romero, Lo Celso, Martinez and Emiliano Buendia – were alleged to have declared false information on official forms to the country’s authorities and in doing so broken quarantine rules.

Similar Articles:

Comment Below