Chelsea ‘table £40m bid’ for Everton star and ‘new proposal’ is already being discussed

Chelsea are said to be the latest club to join the race to sign Everton star Anthony Gordon this summer.

Along with Richarlison, Gordon stuck out like a sore thumb for Everton last season as they secured their Premier League status with one game to go.

It was a torrid campaign for the Toffees though. Gordon’s emergence was one of the only positives that came from the 2021/22 term.

Newcastle and Tottenham have been linked with Gordon in recent months, but Everton boss Frank Lampard insisted last month that the winger is “going nowhere”:

“He’s worked for it (the new squad number). You have to earn the number 10,” Lampard told evertontv.

“I understand this desire for numbers with players. I was fortunate, I kind of fell into a number eight in my career.

“I didn’t go searching for it but I understand how it can feel important to you. But I absolutely feel now, especially with the 10 because it has a little bit of magic to it, a bit of flair, and Anthony’s got that.

“He has it in his own style. I’ve said to him, I don’t want him to try and think he’s doing pirouettes on the halfway line now.

“We need him doing what he was doing last year plus goals plus assists which Anthony is so hungry to do. But he’s earned it absolutely and he’s a link to the crowd, a link to the fans, a local boy who gives everything, a great talent.

Read Also!  Arsenal midfielder suffers injury blow on international duty ahead of north London derby

“He’s going nowhere. He’s our player and that was a hugely-important thing to me, he’s the sort of player we want to build to go forward with. I’m delighted that he’s got his number 10 but now I want him to continue to earn it.”

This may prove to be wishful thinking on Lampard’s part as Chelsea are ‘interested’ in Gordon, according to Sky Sports.

An unnamed source has even informed the platform that the Blues have ‘tabled a £40m bid’ for the Englishman.

Despite Everton insisting that Gordon is not for the sale, Sky Sports understand that a £50m offer will be enough to get the 21-year-old this summer.

Respected journalist Fabrizio Romano has also waded in, suggesting that Chelsea are “internally discussing a new proposal”.

This is said to be a player swap deal, with Everton “interested in Conor Gallagher and more Chelsea players”.

Romano does note that Gallagher’s “preference” is to stay at Chelsea. The midfielder came on for the final five minutes in their hectic 2-2 draw against Tottenham on Sunday.

Similar Articles:

Comment Below