Date published: Wednesday 22nd July 2020 1:37
Andy Cole has called on Manchester United forward Anthony Martial to show “more desire and passion”.
Martial has been in excellent form after lockdown, and has now scored 70 goals in 217 appearances for the club, following his move from Monaco in 2015.
Martial has been trusted to lead the line under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after the departure of Romelu Lukaku, and has notched 20 goals in a season for the first time in his career.
But Cole isn’t getting carried away with Martial’s recent record, as he believes the France international has taken far too long to start justifying his hefty price tag.
“We all get caught up in the debate about Martial,” the United legend told The Athletic as he watched United’s FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea.
“I’m not sure where he wants to play. He’s played well this season as a centre-forward and has scored more goals this season than any other but he should have scored more than 20 in more than one season.
“He came for big money and he’s very talented. He has to show more desire and passion at times. He’s got good feet and a lovely first touch.
“He’s got blistering pace too but you don’t see it enough. He wants the ball to his feet but he should mix it up a bit more.”
- Solskjaer praises ‘fantastic goalscorer’ Greenwood as Man Utd attack inspires
- I’m not gonna lie, I nearly wet myself when I met Ronaldo!’- English football icon Andy Cole reveals
- Liverpool just two wins away from winning Premier League title as Man City lose to Manchester United
- Man United defeat Sheffield Utd 3-0 to keep champions league hope alive
- 19 of Man Utd’s 20 goals scored or assisted by academy grad – PF