Cristiano Ronaldo told Matthijs de Ligt to join Juventus
After the Nations League final on Sunday night, Cristiano Ronaldo was filmed in conversation with Matthijs de Ligt.
Matthijs de Ligt, 19, is the Ajax captain and mainstay alongside Virgil van Dijk in the national team.
After a tremendous season in which Ajax reached the Champions League semifinal, de Ligt is tipped to leave Ajax this summer.
Where will the teenager go? That remains up in the air.
However, after Portugal beat the Dutch, Ronaldo tried to convince de Ligt to join Juventus.
Speaking to NOS after the final, de Ligt revealed what Ronaldo said after the full-time whistle blew:
Ronaldo asked me to go to Juventus. I was surprised by his request, which is why I laughed.
I didn’t understand him at first.
So where is Matthijs de Ligt going?
Matthijs de Ligt was also pressed about where he’s likely to move to.
The defender told the press the following:
I’m going on holidays now. I’m going to think about what’s best for me and then I’ll decide.
It’s important for a young player to play, that’s the only thing I’m sure of.
— NOS Sport (@NOSsport) June 9, 2019
Portugal 1 – Holland 0
Portugal have won their second major trophy in their history.
A goal from Goncalo Guedes sealed Portugal’s 1-0 win over Holland in the inaugural Nations League final.
As a result, Portugal have confirmed their spot at the 2020 European Championships.
- Barcelona’s director of football Eric Abidal posts a cryptic Instagram message but it’s not about Ajax’s Matthijs de Ligt
- Cristiano Ronaldo reveals his future Juventus plans
- Portugal 3-1 Switzerland: Cristiano Ronaldo scores sensational hat-trick to secure Nations League final place on Sunday
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s rape lawsuit dropped by Las Vegas accuser
- Katheryn Mayorga’s lawyer confirms rape case against Cristiano Ronaldo is still active