The former Abia state Governor and Senate, Orji Uzor Kalu, says he would not hesitate to serve as Nigeria’s president if given the opportunity to serve by the people.
Orji Uzor discloses this to the media on Monday, August 31 while visiting former military Head of State Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida and Abdulsalam Abubakar, in Minna. The Senator said he will seek re-election in to the senate in 2023, but will also be glad to serve as the president of the country if elected.
“I am still in the senate, and I will seek for re-election into the senate but if our people want me to serve as president I will not hesitate. Zoning is not a constitutional matter in APC. Any person can contest any post in APC.” he said
In December 2019, the former governor was sentenced to 12 years in Kuje prison after he was convicted for N7.1bn fraud alongside his firm, Slok Nigeria Limited, and a former Director of Finance during his tenure as governor.
However, on May 8, 2020, the Supreme Court upturned Kalu and Udeogo’s conviction on grounds that the presiding judge, Justice Mohammed Idris, lacked the jurisdiction to have presided over their case.
- Orji Uzor Kalu and 2 others found guilty of alleged N7.65 billion fraud
- Update: Court sentences Orji Uzor Kalu to 12 years in prison for N7.65bn fraud
- EFCC vows to immediately begin fresh trial of Orji Uzor Kalu
- Orji Uzor Kalu To Spend Christmas In Prison As Court Dismisses His Bail Request
- Orji Uzor Kalu Begs Court To Allow Him Leave Prison