Frank Lampard has reportedly ‘pulled out of the running’ for the Newcastle job after they seemingly chose Paulo Fonseca.
The former Chelsea boss was the choice of co-owner Jamie Reuben but it seems that Amanda Staveley always favoured former Roma boss Fonseca, who impressed in his interview. It has been reported that he has been offered £6m a year to steer Newcastle away from relegation.
Lampard – via the Daily Mirror – has now let it be known that he never fancied Newcastle anyway, with that report claiming that Lampard ‘is believed to share the concerns of a string of managers concerned about Newcastle’s prospects of staying in the Premier League’.
We would have thought that a manager of any real calibre would back himself to pull Newcastle – who finished 12th last season – away from the relegation zone, with more recruits likely to arrive in January.
Staveley was reportedly ‘impressed’ with Fonseca’s interview ‘but any final decision would have to be rubber-stamped by Newcastle chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan’, according to the Daily Telegraph.
The main decision facing the club is whether to appoint a short-term solution to avoid relegation this season before pushing the boat out for a bigger name in the summer.
Fonseca would want a ‘£6m salary, including bonuses’ to take over at Newcastle but the Geordies would not have to stump up a fee to pay off a club as he is out of contract.
Meanwhile, Newcastle interim boss Graeme Jones has confirmed he has been asked to take charge of the next two Premier League games as the search for Steve Bruce’s successor continues.
Following Amanda Staveley’s Saudi-backed takeover, Bruce’s tenure ended on Wednesday, days after a home defeat by Tottenham, which was his 1,000th game as a manager.
Jones, who joined the staff at St James’ Park in January having worked successfully under Belgium boss Roberto Martinez, will remain focused on the current job in hand – starting at Crystal Palace on Saturday.
“I spoke to the owners on Wednesday morning and they have asked me to take the team on an interim basis for the next two games, so Crystal Palace and Chelsea at home,” Jones said at a press conference.
“I’ve said previously, I am fully focused on preparing the team the best we can to be competitive in both games.”
- Rooney speaks out on Newcastle links as he’s ‘committed’ to Derby
- Lampard ‘fears’ force him to ‘sensationally’ bow out of Palace race
- Gossip: Solskjaer has two games while five face the chop