Doctor Fritz von Weizsaecker the son of German former president, Richard von Weizsaecker has been stabbed to death.
Fritz von Weizsaecker was stabbed to death while giving a lecture at Charlottenburg hospital in Berlin where he worked as a head physician, police announced on Wednesday.
According to the Police, a 57-year-old German man jumped up from the audience to attack him and an off-duty police officer who tried to intervene was seriously injured.
Mr von Weizsacker died from injuries at the scene of the Schlosspark hospital attack.
The suspect was apprehended by several people and has been arrested, police said.
“We cannot yet say anything about the attacker’s motive,” said police spokesman Michael Gassen.
Police said later that the man, who was not a patient at the hospital, had been questioned overnight. Police were also investigating if von Weizsaecker or his family had received threats in the past.
The 59-year-old victim’s father, Richard von Weizsacker, was one of Germany’s most esteemed presidents – a largely ceremonial post – between 1984 to 1994.
He was one of the ex-president’s four children.
Dr von Weizsacker studied and worked at several hospitals in Germany and abroad, including the Harvard Medical School in Boston, US, and a hospital in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Lady dies as hospital refuse treatment, demand police report
- Uncle Stabs Nephew To Death For Quarreling With His Girlfriend (Photo)
- Man To Die By Hanging For Killing His Father In Bauchi Mosque
- Teenager gets dad arrested for beating his mom to death in Ogun
- Man Stabs Wife To Death, Caught While Trying To Secretly Bury Her In Ogun