William Gallas claims Arsenal legend Patrick Vieira would be the ideal candidate to replace Mikel Arteta.
Arteta is under real pressure after his side suffered their eighth defeat of the season as they lost 2-1 to Everton on Saturday.
They sit 15th in the Premier League – just four points above the relegation zone.
And Gallas has suggested Arsenal should go for another former player in Vieira should they sack Arteta.
The Frenchman recently lost his job at Ligue 1 side Nice, but Gallas seems confident he’d be an upgrade.
Gallas told Ladbrokes: “When they chose Mikel Arteta to come in and replace Unai Emery, in my mind Patrick Vieira was the name I thought they should have gone for.
“I don’t know how close he was or if he was in the running at all, but I was surprised they didn’t even mention his name. Patrick has more experience than Mikel, because he’s managed in America and he spent time at Nice.
“So when the Arsenal board decided to pick a new manager I thought Patrick would get the call. He was captain of Arsenal and he knows the club very well. Patrick was the right guy then.
“If they have to sack Mikel Arteta, they have to choose Patrick Vieira to replace him, and I’m sure all the fans would love it.”
- Patrick Vieira is ‘ready’ for the Arsenal job and would be perfect replacement for Unai Emery, talkSPORT told
- How Arteta’s record vs the big six at Arsenal compares to Emery’s
- Arsenal should sack Unai Emery TODAY and hire Patrick Vieira or Freddie Ljungberg, says Gunners legend Ray Parlour
- Mikel Arteta now odds on for Arsenal job as club chief spotted visiting Man City assistant’s house
- Unai Emery Breaks Silence, Speaks On Arsenal Replacing Him With Arteta