Manchester United will conduct an internal investigation after criminal charges against Mason Greenwood were dropped.
It’s understood the Premier League club’s investigation will start immediately and Greenwood is not expected to return to training during that time. It’s not clear how long the process will take.
A statement read: “Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.
“The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”
The Crown Prosecution Service revealed on Thursday that Greenwood’s charges of attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour against him had been dropped.
The 21-year-old was first arrested in January 2022 after disturbing images and videos were posted online by a woman.
Greenwood was later charged by Greater Manchester Police, with a provisional trial set for November 2023.
He had faced one charge of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, all against the same complainant.
However, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it dropped all charges against Greenwood after a key witness withdrew their involvement.
A CPS spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.
“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
“We have explained our decision to all parties.
“We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”
Gary Neville, meanwhile, apologised for sparking some anger on Twitter when he liked a tweet from relating to the matter.
“I liked a tweet relating to the Mason Greenwood news this afternoon from Nazir Afzal. (the former director of public prosecutions).
“This like is being misinterpreted. It was a clumsy like as I obviously condemn any violence against women.”
Mr Afzal had written that Greenwood was “an innocent man, that’s all we need to know” adding “You are innocent till PROVEN guilty”.
He added: “We don’t have trial by media. We don’t have evidence that any witnesses were lying. We don’t do “victim or complainant blaming”.
Neville has since removed his engagement with the tweet.
- Man City defender Mendy charged with rape and sexual assault
- Man City footballer Mendy pleads not guilty to nine sexual offence charges against six young women
- Man Utd forward Greenwood released on bail after police questioning