A Nigerian activist, politician and former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili has broken her silence following the federal government’s attack on CNN.
Recall that the government had on Thursday threatened to CNN.
The threat was issued by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, in reaction to a report by CNN on the alleged Lekki shooting of EndSARS protesters.
Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Lai Mohammed said:
“Like everyone else, I watched the CNN report. I must tell you that it reinforces the disinformation that is going round, and it is blatantly irresponsible and a poor piece of journalistic work by a reputable international news organization.
“CNN engaged in incredible sensationalism and did a great disservice to itself and to journalism.
“In the first instance, CNN, which touted its report as an exclusive investigative report, sadly relied on the same videos that have been circulating on social media, without verification.
“This is very serious and CNN should be sanctioned for that.”
Reacting to the minister’s statement, Ezekwesili described it as comedic.
“Sanction CNN *laughs* But then again, it is not even funny because it is too serious a matter to allow for this comedy.
“What’s really the point of the ‘Independent’ Panels of Inquiry if the @NigeriaGov @FMICNigeria have already closed their minds to information based on evidence?” she tweeted.
😂 Sanction CNN.
But then again, it is not even funny because it is too serious a matter to allow for this comedy.😡
— Oby Ezekwesili (@obyezeks) November 19, 2020
- Lai Mohammed tackles DJ Switch, asks; “Who are her sponsors?”
- #EndSARS: FG Reveals Plan To Setup Judicial Panels Of Inquiry To Investigate Cases Of Police Brutality And Extrajudicial Killings
- Comedian BelloKreb lampoons his colleagues objectifying women
- Bovi quits ‘comedy’ as fans say the industry has been overtaken by Nigerian Politicians.
- Lekki shooting: HURIWA knocks Lai Mohammed over outburst against CNN