The Rivers state Police Command has commenced an orderly room trial for Inspector Peter Ibah and his team accused of raping a 23-year-old widow in Rivers State after arresting her for not wearing a face mask.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police, Rivers state in charge of the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Ahmed Kontagora, confirmed the trial on Thursday when the state’s branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) prevailed on him to ensure speedy investigation and prosecution of the culprits.
The NBA Chairman, Prince Onyekere, who led executive members of the Civil Society Organisations to the SCID, demanded impartial investigation into the matter saying their interest was to stop violence against women.
Onyekere said the police led them to the cell where the accused policemen were kept dispelling reports that they had been released by the police.
He said: “Today we met with the state CID handling the matter concerning the alleged raped widow and the state CID assured us that they were going to start the orderly room trial today for the accused police officers.
“We want the matter to be properly investigated and those found culpable charged to court so they would be brought to book. This idea of gender violence must be stopped and I am calling on all good Nigerians to join the fight against molestation violation of the female folk.
“I brought out the issue that was in the public domain that those officers accused of rape have been released and the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of state CID said that claim was not true and directed the Officer in Charge of legal issues to take us to the cell were the officers were detained and I saw them myself.”
- Female police officer who ‘played’ with late detainee’s private part, arrested
- Drama As Police Officer Denies Raping Rivers Widow Because Of Facemask, Says She Came To See Him At The Hotel
- COVID-19: Police Officers Are Collecting Bribe To Sabotage Lockdown In Rivers – Wike alleges
- Police Inspector Lands In Hot Soup After Harassing Civilians With His Service Pistol (Photo)
- Police parade officers arrested for assaulting man for refusing to unlock his phone in Enugu