Federal and State Governments ignored warnings of planned attacks on South Kaduna communities after the Sallah holiday, member representing Zangon Kataf/JAba Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Amos Gwamna Magaji has alleged.
Members of the House from Southern Kaduna had raised the alarm of planned coordinated attacks on their communities immediately after Sallah holiday.
Magaji said if governments had listened to their warning, Thursday’s attack which killed 25 persons could have been averted.
The lawmaker told The Nation that it was unfortunate that all the information they provided to security agents were never utilized.
He wondered how the militia were allowed to enter their communities and operated for about six hours in the midst of a curfew without a single arrest.
He warned the country was fast drifting to a failed state and asked the government to engage in community dialogue to address the situation in southern Kaduna.
Magaji said Southern Kaduna indigenes may resort to self-help if there are subjected to further attacks.
According to him: “It is becoming like a broken record that the government is continuously ignoring the calls and reports we have been giving them that our people are being killed. We will not be quiet as long as our people are being killed.”
On whether the attacks were reprisals, he said: “When you believe that justice is not being served, it encourages people to take the laws into their hands.
“That is why we are saying that government must be seen to be sincere in dealing with people and issues. Nobody should be above the law. If somebody believes he is above the law, you are encouraging the other group to take the law into their own hands.”
- Why Southern Kaduna killings have persisted, by Catholic bishops
- Southern Kaduna: Special forces deployed to stop killings
- People are dying in your state but we haven’t heard anything from you – Adesua Etomi-Wellington tells Governor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai – AkPraise
- JUST IN: Gunmen kill 22 in fresh attack on four Kaduna villages
- Naked Kaduna Women Protest Against Governor El-Rufai Over Rising Insecurity, Endless Killings