Ronaldo urged to highlight Saudi Arabia human rights issues after ‘sportswashing’ Al-Nassr move

Cristiano Ronaldo has been urged by Amnesty International to speak about human rights issues in Saudi Arabia after his mind-boggling move to Al-Nassr.

The Portugal captain, 37, has signed for the Saudi Arabian side until 2025, announcing at his unveiling that his “work is done” in Europe.

Amnesty International says Ronaldo’s signing is part of a “wider pattern of sportswashing” in Saudi Arabia, a country which has backed a breakaway golf league, hosted high-profile boxing bouts and Formula One grands prix.

Saudi Arabia is also interested in co-hosting the men’s football World Cup in 2030.

“Instead of offering uncritical praise of Saudi Arabia, Ronaldo should use his considerable public platform to draw attention to human rights issues in the country,” Dana Ahmed, Amnesty’s Middle East researcher, said.

“Saudi Arabia regularly executes people for crimes including murder, rape and drug smuggling. On a single day last year, 81 people were put to death, many of whom were tried in grossly unfair trials.

“The authorities are also continuing their crackdown on freedom of expression and association, with heavy prison sentences handed down to human rights defenders, women’s rights activists and other political activists.

“Cristiano Ronaldo should not allow his fame and celebrity status to become a tool of Saudi’s sportswashing. He should use his time at Al Nassr to speak out about the myriad of human rights issues in the country.”

Read Also!  ICPC Declares Man Wanted For Receiving Double Salaries From Kogi State Govt

Ronaldo’s salary at Al Nassr has been reported by a number of outlets as being worth around £200million per year, including bonuses.

“This contract is unique but I’m a unique player, so for me it’s normal,” he said on Tuesday.

“I gave my word to this club to develop not only the football but other parts of this amazing country.”

Just when you thought Ronaldo would be out of the headlines for a bit after leaving Europe, reports in Portugal claim he has ‘divorced’ his agent, Jorge Mendes.

Ronaldo conducted a controversial interview with Piers Morgan ‘against the will’ of Mendes – who knew the only elite club interested in his services were Manchester United, who released him afterward.

The report also states that Ronaldo’s poor behaviour at Old Trafford this season carried over to the 2022 World Cup with Portugal.

The 37-year-old was apparently ‘a constant source of irritation’ to his teammates, who kept quiet and did not expose their captain to the media.

Similar Articles:

Comment Below