Takeoff’s Alleged Shooter Released On R16 Million Bail
Patrick Xavier Clark, the man accused of shooting and killing Migos rapper Takeoff, was released from jail after posting R16 million bail.
According to court records seen by numerous publications, Clark was able to post R16 million and was released from jail on Wednesday.
Last week, Clark’s lawyers were hoping to have the amount reduced, but a judge ordered his bail to remain at R16 997 750. His lawyers were hoping the bail would be reduced to R5 099 325, which is equivalent to US$300 000. They argued that Patrick Clark is not a flight risk and that he did not have the assets to cover R16 million bail.
The bail was initially set at R33 million and was reduced to R16 million after Clark’s lawyers argued that it was excessive and in contradiction with the Texas Constitution.
Patrick Clark was arrested and charged with murder by the Houston Police Department one month after the killing of Migos rapper Takeoff. Court documents show that Clark applied for an expedited passport shortly after the shooting and said he was going to Mexico.
When he was arrested, Clark had the passport and a large amount of cash in his possession. As a result of these circumstances, Prosecutors wantd Clark to be held in custody without bail, arguing that he was a flight risk.
Takeoff was shot and killed on the first of November last year after attending a private party at 810 Billiards and Bowling Alley. Houston police said the shooting stemmed from an argument over a lucrative game of dice.
Police have since established that Takeoff was not involved in the argument nor was he armed, he was an innocent bystander. Houston Police Department Sergeant Michael Burrow said about 30 people were present when Takeoff was shot and killed. He appealed to them to come forward and give a statement to the police.
“Literally, every single one of those people left the scene without giving a statement to police,” Burrow said. “It’s important that those people come forward.”
- Daddy Freeze challenges pilots to a debate after BBNaija’s Pere charged Nigerians to turn off phones before takeoff & landing
- India police arrest 2 Nigerian men with drugs worth over N51 million
- Baba Ijesha to be arraigned in court today