Man Utd will struggle to make the top four without new signings, according to former midfielder Darren Fletcher.
The Red Devils have so far brought in Donny van de Beek from Ajax as their only signing of the summer, despite being linked with numerous other players.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to bring in more signings but they are struggling to get any deals over the line.
And Fletcher reckons that Man Utd will struggle to make the top four in the Premier League without more new signings.
“We know it’s more difficult for Manchester United to sign players. The value goes up, the negotiations are difficult,” Fletcher told Sky Sports.
“But at the same time they will be frustrated – Ole, the fans, everybody around the club – by the fact that Chelsea and other teams can do their business early, and that other teams have spent a lot of money already while Manchester United look like they are going to leave it last minute.
“For me, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, for the job he has done for the club, from where it was to what it is now, deserves the players he wants in. He’s always got the best interests of the club at heart, I know that, but sometimes Ole has to look after himself as well, because he’s going to be judged season on season.
“People don’t look at the work you’ve done, they want the here and now, and for Manchester United to get to where they want, they need players. They need three, four, five players to get anywhere close to challenging Liverpool. If they don’t recruit, they are going to find it tough to finish top four.
“I would hate all that pressure and criticism to go on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, because I feel he’s done a fantastic job.
“The board have to back him. Ole will have identified targets and so will the club. They’ve got five or six days to get him some help and get him some players in.”
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ‘believes he needs SIX signings over next two transfer windows’ to fix Manchester United
- Solskjaer issues Man Utd transfer demand to Ed Woodward
- Man Utd players question ‘sporting direction’ after transfer window
- Football writer ‘worried’ for Bruno Fernandes at Manchester United as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer doesn’t improve players
- ‘Manchester United don’t miss Paul Pogba’ – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told to sell star in January to fund transfer spree