Chelsea hoped Benfica might cave over Enzo Fernandez but the Blues have accepted they must cough up for his release clause. Arsenal, though, are still trying to get a January discount…
CHELSEA TO SPEND £105M ON FERNANDEZ
Happy Deadline Day Eve. Greetings of the silly season to you and your families…
It’a that wonderful time of the year when managers and chairman across Europe panic like f***, apparently having forgotten that they’ve had a month to get sh*t done.
In fairness to Chelsea, they’ve taken care of most of their business in January. But they remain short of a midfielder. Which is why Todd Boehly seems to have relented over Enzo Fernandez.
The Blues have been chasing Fernandez all month but met stubborn resistance from Benfica. The Portuguese club were insisting on the Argentina international’s release clause being paid in full if they were wave him off, and after initially resisting, Boehky has now let it be known that he’s willing to cough p.
That’s the word according to Fabrizio Romano, who says there won’t be a problem with convincing Fernandez to move to west London. The deal will cost Chelsea £105million and a contract for 427 years.
ARSENAL NOWHERE NEAR CAICEDO VALUATION
Arsenal also have a midfielder in their sights and they have been met with similar stubbornness from a club unwilling to lower their demands.
The Gunners failed with a £60million bid for Moises Caicedo at the end of last week, which can hardly come as a surprise since it was just £5million more than Chelsea had already offered for a player that Brighton have no need or desire to sell.
If Arsenal are to bag Caicedo, they would have to bid in the region of £80million. And, according to The Athletic, their second offer is closer – but nowhere near close enough.
Apparently, the Seagulls have snubbed a proposal worth £65million plus another £5million in add-ons. Arsenal are going to have to do a lot better if they, and Caicedo, are to get their way before tomorrow’s 11pm deadline.
SPURS FACE TOON COMPETITION FOR CENTRE-BACK
Tottenham are looking to get busy as they pursue further signings in addition to Arnaut Danjuma, who bagged on his debut on Saturday while seemingly prompting Son Heung-min to pull his finger out too.
Spurs are hoping to land Pedro Porro from Sporting Lisbon as Antonio Conte searches for a right wing-back he actually rates, while the north Londoners are also keen on Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Pieri Hincapie.
Bild says Spurs have submitted an offer worth £22million for the Ecuador international, but they have two problems. Leverkusen want more; and Newcastle are also sniffing. Football Insider says the Magpies are willing to wait until the summer, which may suit the Bundesliga club more than selling the 21-year-old mid-season.
- January Transfer Deadline Day 2023
- Transfer gossip: Mudryk hijack to take Chelsea January transfer spend to €270m
- Transfer gossip: Man Utd must triple offer for Atletico forward, Liverpool eye France star