There were dramatic scenes in the University of Ibadan (UI), Nigeria’s premier University, as Prof. Idowu Olayinka, completed his tenure as Vice Chancellor of the institution.
Workers of the institution embarked on several activities which suggested they were relieved by the exit of the VC who had completed his five year tenure.
According to OyoInsight, workers of the institution kicked off celebrations with a Thanksgiving before proceeding to the VC’s office at the Tekena Tamuno building where they swept the entire place.
The UI workers then proceeded to the main gate where they swept the entire area extending up to the main road, after which they burnt all the brooms used during the sanitation exercise.
Dramatically, after leaving the road, the joyous workers then fried beans cake commonly known as akara, to mark the auspicious moment.
Olayinka’s five-year tenure as the vice-chancellor of the institution was reportedly fraught with battles with workers union over the running of the institution’s affairs.
The Senate of the University of Ibadan (UI) on Monday elected the institution’s deputy Vice Chancellor, Professor Babatunde Ekanola as Acting Vice Chancellor (VC) of the university.
At a Senate meeting held on Monday morning, Ekanola won with 275 votes to defeat four other nominees.
Ekanola, who is expected to be the institution head for the next six months, will assume office December 1, 2020.
- UNILAG Orders Students To Vacate Campus Over COVID-19 Third Wave
- Governor Ganduje Demands Apology From East Carolina University Over Unauthorised Appointment
- P0rnHub picks University of Ibadan as their African Headquarters
- Photos of 200L Student Shot By Armed Robbers In Rivers For Resisting Rape Attempt
- COVID-19: UNILAG Gives Update After Ordering Students To Vacate School