Luiz’s move from Chelsea commanded a lot of the headlines. News of the Gunners’ interest in the 32-year-old Brazilian had come as a surprise and a deal was announced after the 5pm deadline had passed.
“It’s a great feeling,” Luiz told Arsenal.com. “It’s a new cycle in my life, in my career as a footballer. I’m excited to play for this big club. I grew up watching a lot of Arsenal games, especially the great players from the past, so I’m excited to try to help this club to do some big things.
“The cycle finished there. It was a conversation between me and Chelsea and everybody. I had an opportunity to come to another big club. In my life, I’ve always liked to do some challenges. I’m not scared at all to try things.
“I think not too many players would make this kind of move, they would maybe be scared, or something like that. I’m just trying to do big things in my life, so like I said, my cycle at Chelsea finished and now I’m excited to start a new chapter of my life here.
“It’s a big club – not just in England, but everybody around the world knows how big Arsenal is. When I had an opportunity to come to this kind of big club, I had to take it. That’s why I’m here.”
- Arsenal Invincible replaces Bould as Emery’s assistant
- Morata hits out at Chelsea fans and Sarri over ‘bad time’
- Some Arsenal players ‘confused’ by Unai Emery’s recent tactics
- Harry Redknapp: Arsenal or Man United could drop out of PL top six next season
- Arsenal defender Stephan Lichtsteiner confirms he will leave the club this summer