The end of the season is drawing close and there is growing optimism in Saudi Arabia about the potential arrival of Lionel Messi.
Political and sporting leaders alike are increasingly confident that the Argentine star will soon be gracing their football league.
Messi and his father and representative, Jorge, have insisted that no decision will be made on the World Cup winner’s future until the end of the current campaign when his contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires.
Only one thing seems close to being certain and that is that Messi will be leaving France this summer.
In Saudi Arabia, however, they seem sure that his next club will be Al Hilal.
The desire of the Saudi rulers is that the Saudi Pro League will rekindle the Messi-CR7 rivalry, with Cristiano Ronaldo currently playing for Al Nassr.
The reports from Riyad suggest that Messi would receive an even more lucrative contract that Ronaldo. The offer said to be on the table is worth over 300 million euros.
There have also been rumours other big names in the world of Spanish football could be headed for Saudi Arabia this summer, with Saudi clubs set to make a big push to attract major talent.
The likes of Sergio Busquets, Jordi Alba, Nacho, Karim Benzema and even Alvaro Morata have been linked with moves.
Barcelona juggling numbers for Messi
The optimism in Saudi Arabia, however, seems out of tune with the calmness in Messi‘s camp, who seem in no rush to confirm anything.
Meanwhile, Barcelona are still in the running, trying to juggle the numbers to make a deal for their former no.10 viable.
The Blaugrana are working against the clock, though, and will need to get the okay from LaLiga first before they can be sure of making a concrete offer.
They cannot compete with the Saudi money, but they do have the emotional pull of being Messi‘s footballing home.
- Messi to Saudi Arabia club a ‘done deal’ but his father insists that’s not the case
- Messi ‘deprived of matches, training and salary’ as PSG hand out ‘suspension’ for ‘unauthorised trip’
- FC Barcelona Prioritizes Lionel Messi’s Return as Summer Transfer Window Heats Up
- Lionel Messi’s Future Hangs in the Balance as Decision Nears
- Christophe Galtier has announced a U-turn on Lionel Messi’s suspension and confirmed that the football superstar will start in PSG’s next match