Pep Guardiola joked the Manchester City players and staff ‘drank all the alcohol in Manchester’ during their raucous title celebrations.
City was handed the Premier League trophy after beating Chelsea 1-0 at the Etihad and it was merely a warm-up for a night or two on the tiles.
Guardiola praised his players for being able to shake off their hangovers to prepare to face Brighton on Wednesday, a game they drew 1-1.
Asked how he celebrated the title win, Guardiola said: “At 10.30pm, I was in bed with my wife.
“I was exhausted. I watched Match of the Day and then I slept like a baby. But I know the players did what they have to do.
“When you win the Premier League you have to celebrate. They did it with the families, they enjoy a lot.
“The next morning, it was just sauna time. And the day after – yesterday – we talked a little bit in the afternoon: ‘Guys you have to be ready, energy, for Brighton.’ And they did it.
“I was a little bit worried about how much we drop [from] what we had done over the last four, five, six months … 40 hours ago we drank all the alcohol in Manchester.
“But the team was there and that’s why I am very pleased. Because I don’t want the team to drop before the FA Cup and Champions League finals.
“We showed why we are the best team in England. I’m very pleased with the way we still are as a team after being champion.”
Of course City’s season is far from over, with the final game of the Premier League season to take place this weekend against Brentford.
They’ll then face Manchester United in the FA Cup final on June 3, before taking on Inter Milan in the Champions League final a week later in the hope of securing a precious treble.
- “I’m only part of it” – Pep Guardiola on how much of Manchester City’s success is down to him
- Manchester United Aims to Stop Man City’s Pursuit of Historic Treble in FA Cup Final
- “A ruthless machine” – Jason Cundy makes huge claim about Manchester City
- Malacia insists FA Cup final will not derail Man Utd as they will ‘focus’ on finishing in top four
- Pep Guardiola Sends a Message to Rio Ferdinand after Man City Demolish Real Madrid: Watch Video