Les Bleus Achieve Historic Victory, While Other Teams Secure Places in European Championship
Kylian Mbappe’s remarkable hat-trick propelled France to a record-breaking 14-0 victory over 10-man Gibraltar, setting a new margin of victory in European qualifying and establishing a national record in Nice. Simultaneously, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Romania secured their places at Euro 2024 in a thrilling day of football.
Ethan Santos’ own goal and Marcus Thuram kickstarted the goal fest before 17-year-old Warren Zaire-Emery found the net. Unfortunately, Zaire-Emery’s celebration was cut short as he was forced off with an ankle injury. However, a red card for Santos after just 18 minutes allowed the World Cup finalists to dominate. Mbappe’s penalty made it 4-0, and further goals from Jonathan Clauss, Kingsley Coman, and Youssouf Fofana before halftime established a commanding lead.
Adrien Rabiot, Coman, and Ousmane Dembele continued the scoring spree, setting the stage for Mbappe to complete his hat-trick in style. The France captain reached a personal milestone, registering his 300th career goal at the age of just 24 by lobbing Dayle Coleing from just inside the Gibraltar half. Olivier Giroud, coming off the bench, added the final two goals to secure the historic 14-0 win.
France’s head coach Didier Deschamps commented on the remarkable performance, stating, “We did everything to make this score happen. That is the ambition that there is in this team.” Deschamps acknowledged the challenge faced by Gibraltar playing with 10 men but emphasized the team’s respect for the opponent.
- Mbappe Believes He Deserves Ballon d’Or Recognition as Contract Saga Continues
- Mbappe’s Magnificent Hat-Trick Propels PSG to Summit of Ligue 1
- Top scorers in 2023: Haaland lead suddenly cut as in-form Rashford drops down to third
- Haaland Makes History: Shatters Mbappe’s Record as the Youngest Champions League Goalscorer with 27 Goals
- Lukaku’s Spectacular Four-Goal Haul Propels Belgium to 5-0 Triumph Over Azerbaijan in Euro 2024 Qualifier