The 2023 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) witnessed a historic moment as the collaboration between Nigerian sensation Rema and international superstar Selena Gomez, titled ‘Calm Down,’ secured the prestigious Best Afrobeats award.
The star-studded event unfolded on Tuesday at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, where the global music industry celebrated the exceptional talents that have graced the international stage. Rema and Selena Gomez’s ‘Calm Down’ had already made waves by receiving three nominations across various categories, including Best Collaboration, Song of the Year, and Best Afrobeats. However, it was in the Best Afrobeats category that this remarkable duo achieved an unprecedented feat, etching their names in history as the inaugural winners in this newly established division.
The track ‘Calm Down,’ initially released on August 25, 2022, garnered significant attention for its innovative fusion of Afrobeats and pop elements. Its remix achieved remarkable success, notably becoming the first-ever song to maintain a position on the Billboard US Afrobeats Songs chart for a full year. Moreover, it secured the coveted position of being the First No.1 Hit on The Official MENA Chart.
The triumph of ‘Calm Down’ at the 2023 MTV VMAs represents not only a milestone for Rema and Selena Gomez but also a recognition of the growing global influence and appeal of Afrobeats music. The collaboration between these two exceptional artists has not only broken records but has also solidified their positions in the international music scene.
- Selena Gomez Praises Nigerian Sensation Rema in Heartfelt Instagram Post
- Nigerian Sensation Rema Continues to Make History as “Calm Down” Soars on Billboard Hot 100
- Rema Breaks African Record with “Calm Down” on Billboard Hot 100 Chart
- Ice Spice and Rema Set to Drop Hot Collaboration “Pretty Girl” on October 13
- Afrobeats Sensation Rema Aims for Collaborations with American Female Superstars Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion