Manchester City has accepted a bid worth up to £30 million for winger Riyad Mahrez, paving the way for his move to Saudi Arabian club Al Ahli.
As City embarks on their pre-season tour of Asia, Mahrez has been left out of the squad, indicating that his transfer to join Roberto Firmino at Al Ahli is imminent. Personal terms are not expected to pose an obstacle in the deal.
The 32-year-old Algerian international, who has found the net 78 times in 236 appearances during his five-year stint at the Etihad Stadium, has a contract that runs until 2024. However, Mahrez lost his regular starting spot to Bernardo Silva and was utilized as a substitute in the FA Cup and Champions League finals.
Mahrez boasts an impressive record, having secured five Premier League titles, including the remarkable triumph with Leicester City in 2016. City acquired him for £60 million in 2017. In the 2021/2022 season, Mahrez emerged as the club’s top scorer with 24 goals. As a result, City will likely explore the transfer market to find a suitable replacement on the wing.
Meanwhile, Bernardo Silva, who has also attracted interest from Saudi Arabia, remains part of City’s travel squad as the club aims to retain the Portuguese midfielder. Defenders Kyle Walker and Joao Cancelo are also set to feature in the pre-season preparations, despite speculation linking them to Bayern Munich. Additionally, there are doubts surrounding the future of Aymeric Laporte, who lost his starting position last season and could potentially leave the club.
City has already bid farewell to their Treble-winning captain, Ilkay Gundogan, who joined Barcelona. So far, Mateo Kovacic stands as their solitary signing in the current transfer window.
- Transfer gossip: Chelsea to bring back England defender as Man City move for Barca star
- Pep Guardiola’s Interest in Swap Deal Involving Bernardo Silva and PSG’s Wonderkid Revealed
- Al-Ittihad Confirms Signing of N’Golo Kante on Free Transfer from Chelsea
- Manchester City Midfielder Bernardo Silva Vows to Thwart Manchester United’s Bid for Portuguese Star Joao Neves
- Transfer gossip: Saudis eye Salah as Liverpool seek discount on Real, Juve stars