Renowned musician Blackface has accused popular artists Burna Boy, Asake, and Wizkid of engaging in intellectual property theft. During an appearance on Naija FM in Lagos, Blackface, best known for his hit song “Ghetto Child,” claimed that these artists had replicated his music without obtaining his consent.
Blackface specifically alleged that Wizkid and Burna Boy’s song “Ginger” bore striking resemblances to his own track, “Twist & Turn,” in terms of rhythm, beat, and melody flows. He pointed out that only the verses had been altered. Furthermore, Blackface asserted that Asake had sampled his song “Ikebe Supa” in the track titled “Joha.” Blackface emphasized that he has been an inspiration to these musicians, yet they failed to acknowledge his contributions by giving him due credit.
The singer, who had previously criticized 2Face Idibia, made it clear that he does not object to young musicians sampling his work. However, he expressed his dissatisfaction with the lack of authorization and proper acknowledgment.
“Young artists draw inspiration from my music. The first person to sample my music was Wizkid with his song ‘Baby girl I like the way you whine it.’ When I release these records, they choose the ones they like and turn them into their own,” Blackface remarked.
Watch Video below:
- Wizkid’s Hit List: Grammy Winner Unveils the Rising Stars Dominating His Playlist
- Burna Boy Makes History as Most Followed African Artiste on Audiomack
- Asake’s “Work Of Art” Album Debuts at Number One on the Billboard 200 Chart
- Nissi Reacts to Davido’s Description of Burna Boy as the ‘New Cat’ in the Music Industry
- Burna Boy Makes History as First African Artist to Sell Out London Stadium