The ongoing saga of Manchester United’s takeover has witnessed a fresh development, with reports suggesting that Sir Jim Ratcliffe is contemplating a restructuring of his offer to make it more appealing to the current owners, the Glazers. Neither Ratcliffe nor Sheikh Jassim has met the Glazers’ asking price of £6 billion, but speculation is rife that Jassim might present a new proposal closer to this valuation, potentially making him the club’s new custodian.
Jassim’s potential arrival could signal a significant spending spree, raising questions about the future of certain players currently at Old Trafford. Express Sport has identified four players who could find themselves in jeopardy of being replaced if the Qatari businessman assumes control.
1. Jadon Sancho: Sancho’s recent feud with manager Erik ten Hag has cast doubt on his future at Old Trafford. If Jassim takes over before the next summer transfer window, United could target star names to bolster the forward line, potentially putting Sancho’s position at risk. With Bruno Fernandes and Marcus Rashford securing their places in the front four and the recent signing of striker Rasmus Hojlund, a significant addition could be made, particularly on the right side.
2. Anthony Martial: Martial is already playing for his Manchester United future, with his contract set to expire at the end of the season. The club is reportedly unsure whether to activate the one-year option in his current deal. Jassim’s potential injection of funds could render Martial’s services surplus, making it easier to sign another striker to compete with Hojlund.
3. Scott McTominay: McTominay’s future at United is uncertain due to a lack of game time under Ten Hag, leading to links with moves to West Ham and Fulham in the previous summer, though none materialized. With Jassim potentially eyeing improvements in the midfield, McTominay’s role may be further marginalized. As a fringe player with considerable value, he could be among the first players considered for a potential exit.
4. Harry Maguire: United’s defense has faced criticism this season, prompting speculation that Jassim might target improvements in this area. Another center-back signing could impact the standing of current players. If Raphael Varane, Lisandro Martinez, and Victor Lindelof are retained, Maguire could be at risk of being phased out, especially if he fails to win over Ten Hag.
As the takeover saga unfolds, the fate of these players remains uncertain, contingent on the ownership transition and subsequent strategic decisions.
- Sheikh Jassim’s Takeover of Manchester United Receives Boost as Glazer Family Shows Support
- Manchester United Fans Urge Glazer Family to Sell Club to Sheikh Jassim Amid Takeover Drama
- INEOS Chief Provides Update on Manchester United Takeover Amid Sheikh Jassim’s Bid
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe Holds Upper Hand in Manchester United Takeover Race Against Sheikh Jassim
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe Discusses Manchester United Takeover Bid as Ownership Fate Remains Uncertain